Become a Music Teacher with Education Through Music-Colorado
Elementary Music Teacher
ETM-CO is currently seeking a Music Teacher to join a thriving nonprofit to provide direct music instruction to students in a Colorado public school.
Our mission is to partner with under-resourced schools to provide music as a core subject for all children, and utilize music education as a catalyst to improve academic achievement, motivation for school, and self-confidence. ETM-CO believes that every child deserves access to high-quality music education, taught by qualified and well-trained music teachers.
The Music Teacher is an integral part of this partnership between ETM-CO and the school. The music teacher implements the ETM-CO mission in the classroom as well as participates in the school’s community. We strive to create sustainable music programs. Once we have laid the foundation for a strong music program, we expect that the music teacher will be hired by the school.
Each music teacher’s program is designed in consultation with Education Through Music’s program staff and based on Colorado Academic Standards for music. Since each program and student population is unique, it is the teacher’s role to design and implement a standards-based curriculum, and they are supported in this endeavor by ETM-CO Instructional Supervisor (mentor). Lesson planning is required and will be reviewed on a regular basis. We provide all ETM Music Teachers with ongoing professional development, training, and mentoring.
In addition to ongoing professional development, ETM-CO also offers:
- An elective employee-contributed health coverage plan
- Opportunities for tuition reimbursement
- Opportunity for alternative licensure (if relevant)
- Part-time and full-time teaching opportunities
Job Responsibilities Include:
- Teaching a standards-based music curriculum to students in ways that are relevant and appropriately rigorous
- Working with diverse learners, some of whom might be economically disadvantaged and/or culturally/linguistically diverse
- Envisioning and developing a new music program for the school and students
- Planning and producing two all-school concerts/performances each year (or two opportunities for each student to perform for an audience)
- Engaging in a regular process of lesson planning, feedback, and revision
- Collaborating with ETM-CO staff, school administrators, colleagues, and parents
- Applicants who possess a BA or Master’s Degree in Music, Education or Fine Arts (Music Education is a plus) are given priority*
- Previous classroom teaching experience is strongly preferred
- Proficiency in musical literacy and performance on voice/instrument
- Sufficient music content knowledge in order to pass the Colorado PRAXIS music proficiency exam
*ETM welcomes musically proficient applicants who hold or are pursuing certification, and seeks placements to support the career advancement of our teachers. Non-licensed teachers will be asked to demonstrate proficiency with a score of 161 or higher on the PRAXIS 5113 test.
- Training and/or experience with relevant pedagogical approaches or tools, such as Orff-Schulwerk, Kodaly, Dalcroze, Modern Band, Jazz, Technology, Recording, Classroom instruments
- Use assessment data to adapt lessons and instructional practices to help students meet standards in music
- Excellent professional communication skills and a demonstrated ability to communicate with parents, students, and staff
- Participate in meetings, trainings, duties, and other school-specific activities
- Proficiency with lesson planning tools, including but not limited to Google Drive, Google Docs, Pages/Word.
- Comfort with learning/using technology to benefit student learning
- Interest and/or experience in trauma-informed practices and culturally relevant teaching
- Build relationships with students and learn about their interests, needs, and abilities
- Practice a Growth Mindset and seek feedback, coaching, and collaboration
- Initiative to grow professionally as shown through engagement in ongoing professional development opportunities
- ETM-CO Instructional Supervisor
- ETM-CO Executive Director
- School-based principal(s)
- School-based leaders
Submit your application online.
Finalists will be asked to teach a lesson geared toward the students and content of the desired position.
- Prior to receiving an official offer, finalists will be asked to immediately undergo a fingerprinting and background check with the FBI and CBI and have those directly sent to ETM-CO. Only those with a clear background check are eligible for hire by ETM.
- Within the first semester of teaching, new hires who are not certified in music education must pass the PRAXIS 5113 exam with a score of 161 or higher.